IAB in the News
IABNZ certifications for Ad Industry Professionals in 2016
Tue, 15 Dec 2015
The IABNZ introduced two new professional certifications in New Zealand in 2015 - The Digital Media Sales Certification (DMSC) which commenced in May and the Digital Ad Operations Certification (DAOC) commenced in October.
The purpose of the Certification Programme is to establish a standardised benchmark for digital advertising professionals. The programme helps individuals and companies accelerate their growth in digital advertising, raise the standards and perception of our industry and provide a foundation for career advancement. The programme is also a useful tool for recruitment and professional development.
Created by industry subject matter experts and a leading test development company, the assessment-based qualification is managed by an independent Certification Commission. This differs from the many ‘certificates’ available in the market which can be gained from simply attending a course rather than passing a controlled exam.
The Certification Programme is the highest industry credential; created by the industry, for the industry. The programme has been running in US since 2012 and is currently available in Singapore, Canada, the UK and Australia - with more markets to be announced soon. So far, over 7000 professionals have been certified worldwide. Several companies, such as AOL, Collective, and IDG now use the Certification as a standard requirement for entire sales teams.
How does it work?
The Certifications can be obtained by passing a carefully designed exam at one of the many Pearson Learning Centres around New Zealand. The exam can be taken during any of the quarterly test windows.
The Certification is valid for 2 years, after which you can either re-take the exam or requalify by obtaining continuous education credits through learning activities such as attending events, writing articles, etc.
Those with more than 5 years’ experience can, in most cases, take the exam based on their working experience and self-study using our detailed study guides and materials. Whilst there is no training course required to pass the exam, IABNZ offers training courses for those with less than 2 years of experience or who feel they need to brush up on their skills.
Who is eligible?
In order to be eligible to take the exam, you will have to have worked in the digital advertising industry for 2 years although options also exist for graduates. For full eligibility criteria please see below:
How can I get certified in New Zealand?
The Certification exams are available during quarterly test windows; however, the application can be submitted at any time. The exam can be taken at the many Pearson test centres throughout New Zealand. You can find your nearest test centre here.
The application process is managed by IAB US and US based Certification Commission. Please note that you will first need to make the payment with IABNZ before commencing the application. Once payment has been made, you will be issued a code that will allow you to proceed to the application. As you start your application, you will be required to set up logins to the IAB US website, these are not the same as your logins for IABNZ website. The application form will take approximately 15 minutes to complete and you will be required to include details of your past experience so please have these ready. Please ensure you contact IABNZ on [email protected]to arrange payment prior to starting your application.
Once you have been approved (this can take up to 15 days), you will receive an email confirming your approval with details on how to schedule the exam at one of the local test centres. Please note you cannot schedule the exam until you receive this email and your unique candidate ID.
Registration is open year-around but the exam is only offered once every quarter. The 2-hour computer-based exam is offered in a controlled test centre (Pearson VUE) with various locations in major cities throughout New Zealand. You will be given a pass/no pass mark immediately at the centre with the certification mailed to you a few weeks after.
How can I prepare for the exam?
Digital Media Sales Certification (DMSC)
Those with 2+ years of experience can, in most cases, take the exam based on their knowledge and skills gained on the job. The IAB US has also crafted detailed study guides and materials that you can use to freshen up your digital knowledge.
If you have less than 2 years of digital sales experience, we recommend attending our Digital Media Sales course in either Auckland or Wellington (dates TBC) together with self-study of the study materials. The course is ideal for those who might have plenty of traditional media sales experience but are new to the world of digital.
Digital Ad Operations Certification (DAOC)
The DAOC is for both agency and publisher side professionals with a minimum of two years of work experience in digital advertising operations. Digital Ad Operations is defined as those work processes that enable, transact, track, measure and evaluate the buying and selling of digital media inventory for publishers and agencies, but can also include operational roles in the companies and for the services that enable publishers to optimise the selling of digital media and agencies and marketers to optimize the planning and buying of digital audiences.
DAOC registrations will commence in October.
When and where can I take the exam?
The test windows for the balance of 2015 are as follows. Once your application has been approved, you can book a date and time that is convenient for you during that test window. Most of the Pearson testing centres have good availability options. Applications can be submitted at any time, however please note that it may take up to 15 days to be approved so please start the application process well in advance of the test window you are looking to attend. The test windows for 2016 are outlined in the table below.
How much does it cost?
Certification - Apply Now
Before you start your application, please read the below information carefully
- Before you start your application, please contact IABNZ to arrange for payment by invoice or credit card and to gain access to the discount codes you will for the application.
- Once you have maintained the correct codes from IABNZ, you can commence your application. At the start of the application, you will first need to set up logins to the IAB US website. Please note these are not the same as your logins for IABNZ website.
- The online application form will take approximately 15 minutes to complete and you will be required to include details of your past experience so please have these ready. Please ensure you have the correct purchase code on hand and that you enter in the code at the checkout (these codes will be given to you upon completing payment with IABNZ). You can find the pricing details below.
- Once you have been approved (this can take up to 15 days), you will receive an email confirming your approval with details on how to schedule the exam at one of your local test centres. Please note you cannot schedule the exam until you receive this email and your unique candidate ID. For any questions on the application process from New Zealand, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
- In the event that you are deemed ineligible to take the exam upon review of your application and supporting documentation, your exam fees will be refunded but your application fee (USD 50) will be forfeited.
- The Certification is priced as per the table above. If you are not yet an IAB Member and would like to join, please get in touch.